Sunday, July 26, 2009

God is good

I’m working on a feature on egg donation and infertility in Uganda. Last week I took a boda across town and got to meet with a Ugandan doctor who loves Jesus and loves his people and began Women’s Hospital International in Kampala to give back to and serve his countrymen – er, countrywomen.

Just like in Kenya, so much of a woman’s life and status is wrapped up in her ability to bear children. “If a woman doesn’t have children of her own, the she’s (…) regarded as not a woman, in a sense,” Dr. Tamali-Sali said to me. “She can’t propagate the next generation, therefore she’s useless,” he said in reference to the cultural attitude toward infertility in Uganda.

I also worked a good chunk of the week extracting the names of people awaiting prosecution from a 253 government white paper. Not my favorite job ever.

I have been shifting away from news and towards writing more feature/enterprise articles. It’s really interesting but a LOT more time and work!

Over the weekend, Zoe and I went to a rugby game at the Kampala Rugby Club. Pirates vs. Cubs. The Pirates had two incredible tries scored off of breakaway runs and ended up winning the game. The guy standing next me had 20,000 shillings bet on the Cobs.

We also met up with Agnes, a Ugandan girl who also attends Stanford, at the rugby game and hung out with her and her friends afterwards. I enjoyed it a lot.

Patrick’s little daughter Melanie has a heart defect. She has been in Mulago Hospital for the past 2 weeks. Patrick’s family is making preparations for her and Sarah (her mom) to fly to the US for an operation next week. Penny has been helping their family and staying in the hospital so it has just been Zoe and I at home. Melanie is just three months old. Please pray for her and her family in this time and that the operation in the US will be successful.

I can’t believe it’s almost August. I love being in Uganda and I’m enjoying the experience at the Monitor a lot, but there have also been times that are hard and really lonely. I am learning a lot of trust and reliance on God through everything and can truly see Him at work in my life.

This post is all over the place. But the bottom line in my life right now is simply this:

God is good.

1 comment:

  1. What you have chosen to do for your 'summer vacation' is truly a calling... a challenge… and a good use of your gifts! Loneliness is just a chance to think about what is truly important in life. God does not put before us anything that we cannot handle… we just have to figure out how to go about getting through it! I can see from your blog there are several of us out here (where life is much more comfortable) thinking about you…
    I’m not sure what is more dangerous… the diseases, the boda boda rides or the soccer game!
    I look forward to your next update.

    ReplyDelete